During Fall 2011, the draft reports submitted by the five Implementation Planning Teams below were integrated into a single Implementation Plan. Metrics to assess NC State’s progress toward meeting its strategic goals were also selected.
- More on the Implementation Plan and Metrics
- View the Implementation Plan and Metrics in matrix format [pdf]
Implementation Planning Teams
In June 2011, Chancellor Woodson charged five Strategic Plan Implementation Planning Teams with recommending the specific steps needed to move NC State’s Strategic Plan into action. Each team was assigned one of the Strategic Plan goals.
Team 1: Enhance the success of our students through educational innovation
Chair: Sarah Ash
Members: Robert Abt, Roger Callanan, Jo-Ann Cohen, Louis Hunt, Carrie Leger, David Parish, Evelyn Reiman, Ingrid Schmidt, Karen Young
Executive Officer Sponsors*: Warwick Arden, Deborah Yow, Tom Stafford
Team 2: Enhance scholarship and research by investing in faculty and infrastructure
Chair: Jorge Piedrahita
Members: Steve Allen, David Aspnes, Betsy Brown, Chris Brown, Jere Confrey, Montserrat Fuentes, Dean Hesterberg, Lisa Johnson, Daniel Stancil
Executive Officer Sponsor: Terri Lomax
Team 3: Enhance interdisciplinary scholarship to address the grand challenges of society
Chair: Jayne Fleener
Members: Nancy Allbritton, Georgia Bizios, Helga Braunbeck, David Hinks, Margery Overton, Walt Robinson, Damian Shea, Daniel Solomon
Executive Officer Sponsor: Marc Hoit
Team 4: Enhance organizational excellence by creating a culture of constant improvement
Chair: Chris Gould
Members: David Berube, David DeFoor, Barry Goldfarb, Yvette Griffin, Justine Hollingshead, Hans Kellner, Steve Keto, Chris Kingston, Keith Nichols, Ken Sigmon, Ira Weiss
Executive Officer Sponsors: Charlie Leffler, Nevin Kessler
Team 5: Enhance local and global engagement through focused strategic partnerships
Chair: Behnam Pourdeyhimi
Members: Ruben Carbonell, Michael Giancola, Heidi Hobbs, Dennis Kekas, Bailian Li, Marian McCord, Jose Picart, Sheri Schwab, Mary Tschirhart
Executive Officer Sponsors: Jim Zuiches, Eileen Goldgeier
* The expectations of Executive Officers in the role of Team Sponsor was to attend the initial meeting of the team and subsequent meetings of that team as available, to provide administrative support to the team, and to report upward the ongoing work of the committee as appropriate.
The objectives of each Implementation Planning Team were to:
- Recommend specific action steps over the next two years for each strategy listed under its assigned Strategic Plan goal.
- Assign each action step to an organizational unit.
- Develop an implementation schedule and deliverables for each action step.
- Identify associated resources or savings for each action step.
- Identify the evidence that can be used, after implementation, to determine whether the specific action was effective in supporting the broader strategy.
Each Implementation Planning Team submitted a draft report in late July 2011. The five reports are being integrated into a single Implementation Plan which will become a companion to the Strategic Plan. The Implementation Plan, which will be presented to the Board of Trustees in November 2011, is intended to become the guidebook for implementing and for assessing NC State’s progress toward meeting its strategic goals.
Metrics and Reporting Team
A separate Metrics and Reporting Team proposed performance measures related to each of the five goals in the strategic plan. These measures are university-wide and global in nature, rather than related specifically to specific actions in the Implementation Plan. To the extent data are available, the measures will be oriented to outcomes and impact, rather than inputs or processes.
Chair: Karen Helm
Members: Lewis Carson, Steve Keto, Matt Ronning, John Taylor, Nancy Whelchel, Carrie Zelna